The month of Ramadhan is a great opportunity to focus on bringing back a balanced and healthy lifestyle in your life. You will begin to learn how to manage your eating habits, how to improve self-control, discipline and binging through fasting. One of the reason for fasting is it requires you to give the stomach a break, and by doing so you are able to break down and expel the accumulated toxins from your body.
For your information, fat, is your main metabolic fuel source for bodily function during fasting. This is a good thing, but we need to prevent the breakdown of muscle for protein at the same time. The use of fat for energy aids weight loss, preserving the muscles, and in the long run reduces your cholesterol levels. In addition, weight loss results in better control of diabetes and reduces blood pressure.
A balanced food and fluid intake is important between fasts. To prevent muscle breakdown, meals must contain adequate levels of ‘energy food’, such as carbohydrates and some fat. Hence, balanced diet with adequate quantities of nutrients, salts and water is vital. Eat balance by having all macronutrients, carbohydrate, protein and fat.
Do remember to have your Sahur meal. Dont skip as it may slower your metabolic rate.
Some general tips on healthy eating during the fasting month as listed below: –
- Sahur is crucial for loading up energy for your long day during this fasting month.
- Take complex carbohydrates such as brown rice, wholemeal bread, oats, quinoa etc as it can make us feel full longer by delaying any gastric symptoms.
- Practice a well-balanced diet by increasing your protein intake like chicken, fish, tofu or legumes as the complex structure of protein can extend the digestion process longer and to prevent muscle breakdown.
- Keep your body hydrated by having plenty of water. other than that, snacking on some fruits also helps to hydrate your body as it also contain fluids and some nutrients
- Simple and small portion of food to avoid any stomach discomfort.
- Eat a well-balanced meal by having half a plate of vegetables with a quarter portion of both carbohydrates and protein.
- Stay hydrated by drinking a lot of plain water or any soup based food.
- Do not overeat as it will make your body uncomfortable which can limit your activity.
- Your body will need around 20mins to process for your to feel full
- After Terawikh prayer, we can have light snacks such as kuih-muih, wholemeal bread, crackers or sandwiches.
- Limit your intake of heavy food like rice, fried noodles as we do not require that much energy when our bodies goes to sleep.
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration
Not to forget, do come to our cafe’s for berbuka puasa with your family and friends for healthier food choices.
our cafe location:
- Goodness Greens TTDIKL
- La Juiceria Superfoods Verve Suites Mont Kiara
- La Juiceria Superfoods Avenue K Xpress
- La Juiceria Superfoods Signature Nadi Bangsar
- La Juiceria Superfoods Subang SS18
- La Juiceria Superfoods Signature Atria Mall
Let your Ramadhan month be a well-deserved break to your body, mind and soul by opting to eat more healthy food.
Selamat Berpuasa! 🙂