Food is our best medicine to achieving better health. We all know that eating healthy food is important however; eating safe food is equally significant for life sustainability.
Did you know there is an estimated 200 million deaths every year caused by the contamination of water and food? Moreover, there are more than 200 diseases that are commonly caused by unsafe foods containing viruses, chemical substances and harmful bacteria. These diseases range from the common diarrhea to lethal cancers. Therefore, it is crucial that we are consuming clean and uncontaminated food to guarantee we are really getting the best out of the food we eat.
Having said that, we highly recommend these 5 simple keys to reduce and avoid all food risks.
- Check the quality of food ingredients, the expiry date and labels on the packaging before we purchase/consume.
- Always keep your hands clean when handling & preparing food. Wash your hands with soap before and after the process of making food.
- Clean all fruits and vegetables thoroughly before eating them raw.
- Ensure surfaces and kitchen utensils used for food preparation are clean and sanitized.
- When dealing with raw meat, do not use the same knife or chopping board as your fruits and vegetables. Always wash utensils to separate the raw meat, poultry and seafood from other fresh produce to minimize contamination.
- Cook food thoroughly especially poultry, seafood and soups. Ensure foods like soups & stews boil up to a temperature of 70˚ Undercooking food is risky as there may still be the presence of harmful bacteria.
- Watch out from overcooking your food. Highly overcooked or burnt foods can increase the risks of diseases, like cancer.
- Leftover food should always be reheated to an optimal temperature as well before serving.
- All cooked food should be stored in the refrigerator if left unfinished. Keep them stored preferably below 5 ˚
- Cooked food should be refrigerated within 2 hours after preparation
- Do not store food for too long in the refrigerator. Do not leave them unattended; always look out for food changes with smell, texture, appearance and taste.
根据数据显示，平均每年2亿种食物中毒身亡事件发生源于受污染的食物与食水。而且，超过200种疾病是因不安全的食物所带来的病菌以及化学成品所导致的。 而这一些疾病包括最普遍的腹泻，甚至致命的癌症 如胃癌。由此可先，选择卫生不受污染的食物以确保摄取的食物品质受到保障是不可掉以轻心。
- 准备食材前后，都需无时无刻地保持双手清洁干净 以避免食材受到细菌的感染。
- 任何的食物都需要经过烹制来确保食物的素质。任何食物如汤或炖品之类的食物必须至少在70摄氏或以上的高温处理。 低温处理的食物极有可能成为细菌的温床。
- 虽然高温处理的食物比低温处理的食物来的卫生与安全， 可是过度高温烹制，会让食物的营养流失，更提高换上癌症的风险。
- 吃剩的食物，在为进食前，必须在适合的温度下再翻热 。
- World Health Organizations (WHO), World Health Day 2015. Available at: http://www.who.int/campaigns/world-health-day/2015/en/