By: Zalikha Razali
Diet that is for health promoting properties is to
include fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables are the main sources to provide vitamin, minerals, fibres and antioxidant that is important for our health. The recommended serving of fruits and vegetables according to the Malaysia Food Pyramid is 5-7 servings per day. Furthermore, fruits and vegetables are suggested as a source of dietary fibre.
Why we need to consume fruits and vegetables? The benefits are:
- Fibres can help reduce constipation
- Vitamins and minerals can help reduce the risk of many diseases such as heart disease, blood pressure and cancers
- Potassium maintain the fluid and electrolytes in the body and strengthen the function of muscle
- Act as anti-aging and prevent cancers as they contain many antioxidant.
Tips on how to increase the intake of fruits and vegetables in your daily diet:
- Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Make snacks all about fruits and vegetables. Eg: celery and carrot stalks, apple cube
- Keep a bowl of fresh fruits at your home or on your desk for a healthy snacks
- Drink fruit, vegetables or mixture of fruit and vegetables juices without added sugar
- Increase vegetables in your dishes such as in mee goreng or sandwiches
- Include vegetables and salad or ‘ulam’ during your lunch and dinner every single day
Fruits and vegetables also provide high amounts of ‘heart and weight friendly’ fibre for those who focused on weight loss and heart health. Choosing a colourful variety vegetables is best because it give different benefits according to the colour spectrum.
Ouh, and don’t forget to grab our juices to achieve the serving of fruits and vegetables as recommended to get all the benefits!